Re: [tlug] hard drive shock resiliance and health - linux tools?

On 25/10/06, Botond Botyanszki <tlug@example.com> wrote:
> Are there any linux tools which will allow me to confirm if I did or did
> not damage my drives?

I'm not sure how you can read measured operating shock values from the
disk (they are supposed to store this AFAIK, so the manufacturer can tell
how the drive broke).
Take a look at smartctl if you are looking for possible errors.

Mr. Wikipedia, he say:

Known S.M.A.R.T. attributes
220 	DC 	Disk Shift 	*CRITICAL* Distance the disk has shifted relative
to the spindle (usually due to shock). Unit of measure is unknown.
221 	DD 	G-Sense Error Rate 	The number of errors resulting from
externally-induced shock & vibration.

not sure if you'll have those, or if they'll tell you anything.

You do have to do some extra gymnastics with smartctl if your disks are behind
something like a 3ware raid card, but it's in the manual.

Neil.