[tlug] Authenticating to Samba with AD account

Hello,

Here is a Linux - Windows interoperability question. (As much as I would
like to get rid of the Windows part, it's not up to me.)

There is a Windows 2003 domain with a bunch (in the hundreds) of
existing users. The goal is to let them use their accounts to access
samba shares and/or other resources on the Linux box (RHEL 3.0). As
things stand, it kind of works but not quite. If you are logged in with
your local account and you try to access a share, the authentication
dialog pops up. You enter your AD credentials and you are in. However,
if you are logged on to the domain, the dialog just keeps popping up
forever, even if you enter the correct username/password. If, however
you use an nonexistent domain for specifying your username, it works. To
sum it up:

 * username:password -- doesn't work
 * realdomain\username:password -- doesn't work
 * fakedomain\username:password -- works

I believe I have the whole thing set up properly. wbinfo -a/-t/-u/-g
work as expected. I have added windbind to /etc/pam.d/authconfig and
/etc/nsswitch.conf and getent passwd returns all domain users. I can
even log in via ssh with my domain account.

I am out of ideas, so if anyone has one, please do share it.

The samba packages/versions are:

samba-3.0.9-1.3E.10
samba-client-3.0.9-1.3E.10
samba-common-3.0.9-1.3E.10

Here's the relevant part of smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = FOO
        realm = FOO.LOCAL
        netbios name = BAR
        security = ADS
        password server = BAR.FOO.LOCAL

        winbind uid = 100000-120000
        winbind gid = 100000-120000
        winbind separator = +
        winbind use default domain = yes
        obey pam restrictions = yes

        winbind enum users = yes
        winbind enum groups = yes

        server string = Blah Blah Server
        log file = /var/log.samba.%m
        os level = 0
        preferred master = no
        domain master = no
        encrypt passwords = yes
        update encrypted = yes

        add user script = /usr/local/bin/smb-useradd %D/%U
        delete user script = /usr/local/bin/smb-userdel %D/%U

        template shell = /bin/bash
        template homedir = /home/%D/%U

TIA