Re: [tlug] Etch bootup fail after installation

Josh Glover wrote:

On 02/10/06, Charles Muller <acmuller@example.com> wrote:

I've just bought a new Dell Dimension 5150c (160 GB SATA drive, 2.66 Duo
Core Intel) on which I'm trying to install Etch. The installation runs
fine, but on first boot, it hangs up at the following:

     Begin: Waiting for root filesystem... ...
     Done.
          Check root= bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
          or missing modules, devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev
     ALERT! /dev/sda8 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

I assume you have the GRUB bootloader, in which case you need to
interrupt the boot process and drop to the GRUB shell, and try
something like:

root sd0,8
setup sd0

It turns out that the problem was not solved--it's intermittent. Sometimes the boot goes through, and sometimes it stops. I'll see if I can get it to do this again, and then I'll try this.

Thanks,

Chuck

Charles Muller

Toyo Gakuen University