Re: [tlug] Why won't this process die?

>Also I recommend check which VMWARE files are open and killing the
processes associated with them (lsof or fuser should help with this)

Resending... I used the wrong "From" address last time...

> dave@example.com:~$ sudo kill 11906

Did you try:

  sudo kill -9 11906

The 'kill' and 'killall' send signal 15 (TERM) by default which is kinda
like asking the process nicely if it would please go away. Some processes
ignore TERM -- especially if they're designed to keep running even when the
shell that started them happens to go away.

Signal 9 (usually also named KILL) cannot be ignored. It will get the
attention of the process even if it doesn't want to be interrupted. The only
way the process would fail to go away at that point would be if it were
somehow damaged and unable to correctly return all the resources it has
hoarded (or if the process is stopped for some reason).

Usually the "-9" is enough to convince the process to give up.

---
Joseph L (Joe) Larabell            Never fight with a dragon
http://larabell.org                     for thou art crunchy
                                  and goest well with cheese.