Re: [tlug] (gentoo) how to ask for an ebuild or do it myself?

On 03/08/06, Al Hoang <hoanga@example.com> wrote:

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 07:21:59PM +0900, Evan Monroig wrote:

        One thing you can do is try a portage overlay.
[...]
1. Create the dir /usr/local/portage
 - This serves as the base of your own private portage tree where you can
   dump ebuilds

I personally keep my portage overlay in ~/portage... why have root own
stuff when he doesn't have to?

4. Create the ebuild (This is the part where my memory gets fuzzy...)
 - At this point, I drop using emerge and just use the ebuild tools
   directly since you need to make sure a manifest is properly created iirc
 - ebuild remember.ebuild manifest (or was it the other way around)
 - ebuild remember.ebuild fetch
 - ebuild remember.ebuild compile
 - ebuild remember.ebuild install*  (Check ebuild manpage)
 - ebuild remember.ebuild merge*    (Check ebuild manpage)

You were close. :)

ebuild remember.ebuild digest
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS='~x86' sudo emerge -av remember

        iirc, Josh is *ahem* a committer for the Gentoo project.  I'm
sure with some prodding (or beer) he'd try to push to get that ebuild
actually into the portage tree faster.

Yup, I'd be happy to. I have a standing offer for TLUGgers to let me
know about their pet ebuilds, and I will commit them. Except for
Edward's VOIP one--sorry about that mate, it was a combination of me
being really busy and not seeing the updates to the bug.

        I'm really not sure how the Gentoo folk take a bug that
represents a desired ebuild and push it into the portage tree.  It seems
it'd be useful if they had a voting mechanism or something that would
allow them to count the number of people interested in having X ebuild
pushed into the portage tree.

Basically, we get to it when we get to it. Emailing the bug owner is a
good idea, but I would only advise doing it at one-month intervals.

The voting mechanism is not a terrible idea, as a way for devs to see
which ebuilds are very popular and thus prioritise accordingly. Maybe
you should suggest this in the Forums (make sure to search first, as
it seems like this idea may have come up before).

I second Edward's comment (later in this thread) about updating the
ebuild and attaching it to the bug. Devs love nothing more than the
slam-dunk commit. :)

-Josh