Re: [tlug] iPod considered harmful

On Aug 1, 2006, at 12:09, Josh Glover wrote:

I am not crazy about iPods and iTMS, but I've never really been able
to write a good essay on why I am not. Luckily, I no longer have to,
as Cory Doctorow has written an excellent one:

http://informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=191000408

It seems a couple of places he argues that record companies can't copy their music onto iPods and have the songs play without licensing Apple's DRM. But the iPod plays vanilla AAC and MP3 tracks that have no DRM restrictions just fine. So what he is really arguing is that they don't get to control the DRM scheme... because DRM is not a requirement to play on the iPod... the record companies just believe it is prerequisite to sell music.

As for going the other direction (migrating Apple's restricted content on other players), he has a stronger argument. (At least until the money or court settlement encourages Apple to license it.)

My iPod doesn't play Windows Media files, let alone Windows Media files with their version of DRM. The newfangled VHS tapes didn't fit in my Betamax recorder either.

--
Jim Tittsler  7J1AJH/AI8A                            GPG: 0x01159DB6
Kanto Computer Calendar  http://www.OnJapan.net/calendar/