Re: [tlug] Not the Real World

On 7/25/2006, "Josh Glover" <jmglov@example.com> wrote:

>Oh come on! If anything, having a skill that is in short supply
>promotes arrogance, not nastiness.
>
>For as long as I have been a member of TLUG, I have seen *far* more
>nastiness from people who do not posess the skills that are in short
>supply, when the people who do will not help them "fix my linux server
>asap!".

As a person who has been around TLUG even longer than Josh but not as
long as Steve, and a member of the long but distinguished list of
former-listmasters-who-wouldn't-take-the-job-again (TM), I strongly
agree with this. All of the nastiest people ever to pass through (and
sometimes be kicked out of) this list have been of the type described.
Let me rephrase that: all of the nasty people ever to pass through...

>> On 7/24/06, Dave M G <martin@example.com> wrote:
>>
>>> All I'm saying is: isn't communication as much a responsibility of the
>>> speaker as it is the listener?
>>
>> In the real world, in which you and most other humans inhabit, certainly,
>> but this isn't the real world here - this is Geek Land!
>
>Did you even bother to read Steve Turnbull's excellent post <SNIP> Or were you more interested in trolling than making a reasonable contribution to the
>discussion?

But I have to disagree with you on this one. I know Dave M G from another
list (a non-technical one, with a whole different set of norms), and
don't think he meant to troll anyone. In fact, Dave is a moderator on
that list, and a very good one. It is a different culture over there,
though, and the way things are on TLUG and other tech lists (although
probably fewer than, say, 10 years ago) just wouldn't fly over there.
But don't worry, Dave, we'll brainwash you around to the TLUG way of
thinking ;-)

Jonathan