Re: [tlug] Not the Real World

On 7/24/06, Dave M G <martin@example.com> wrote:
TLUG,

Sorry for reacting a little defensively to Godwin's post.

But... Look guys, it's not like I'm new to mailing lists, net etiquette,
or all those things. I'm as aware as anyone that emails don't convey
tones and manners very well, and it's easy to mistake things as hostile
when maybe they aren't.

I agree.  The way computer people talk with each other would be downright dangerous in most other professions!

The thing is, as this very topic now is about, it seems culturally
embedded in "LUG" lists that when someone balks at certain advice for
some reason, or if someone (me in this case) says "hey, that's not very
nice", the response is "the problem is you, newbie." Whereas I think
it's often the case that we just have different priorities. If "LUG"
culture doesn't respect that, then maybe that's where the problem lies,
not with every new member who thinks a little differently.

The problem of course, is supply and demand.  Possessors of a skill that is in short supply have a natural tendency to be nasty.  If supply increases however, then they will lose that luxury.

With regards to Godwin's statements, I've much appreciated his
knowledgeable and patient advice. But that doesn't mean that I can't
also have my feathers ruffled when he gets "snarky". One doesn't create
license to do the other.

But again - holding the keys does promote nastiness.  It's ugly, very ugly, but also human nature!

All I'm saying is: isn't communication as much a responsibility of the
speaker as it is the listener?

In the real world, in which you and most other humans inhabit, certainly, but this isn't the real world here - this is Geek Land!

RM