[tlug] Palm (Clie) Sync with Japanese

Only have about two cents worth to throw in here, but my experience with
the Palm sync was that there was little problem--except that the
Japanese parts were not readable on the Linux side (in Evolution under
Ubuntu). I did that fairly soon after I had first set up Ubuntu, so I
was basically working pretty blindly and without much idea of what I was
doing. However, I can say that whatever instructions I followed worked
with little trouble. I've already pretty much forgotten all the details,
but I could try to replicate my steps, or I could look at the
configuration on that machine (which is actually at the office).
However, I'm so newbie that you'll need to walk me through the steps of
checking the configuration.

Because of the Japanese problems on that machine, which is pretty well
configured for Japanese input (and because my Clie is dying), I had not
bothered to pursue it on this machine, though I do have a USB cable
here. Actually, I just received the tlug digest with this discussion as
I was starting efforts to figure out what's incorrect about the Japanese
input on this machine... On that Ubuntu Linux machine, hitting the
hankaku/zenkaku key will activate Anthy, but it isn't working on this
machine. I must have missed some step in the installation here...

I actually have a third Ubuntu machine which is my problem child. I was
thinking of bringing it along to the technical meeting next week. I hope
that is not inappropriate behavior.