[tlug] NEC Laptop Issue

I've written before about the NEC laptop I was given a few years back. It had developed a progressively worse problem where - when you fired it up - it would insist on trying to boot from the floppy. It would go "kacha-kacha-kacha - beep-beep-beep - kacha-kacha-kacha - beep-beep-beep!" as it alternated between trying to read from the floppy drive and giving an error beep.

I thought it was a BIOS issue and some vocal people on the list insisted it was a mechanical problem where the machine was mistakenly thinking there was a floppy in the drive even though there wasn't. We were all wrong. Actually, although I entertained the possibility of there being a mechanical problem, I realized it couldn't be that - since doing a reboot was never a problem - just cold startups.

So what was the problem? Memory! The machine originally came with 100MHz memory and I put in a couple of 133MHz boards - that worked initially, but even then it took three reboots before I got anything other than a blank screen. After that, they worked fine for a few months, and then the boot-up problem crept up.

Having recently fixed another computer that was behaving strangely just by putting in different memory boards, I decided to try that on the old NEC - and it worked. Now it starts up with no problem at all - with a different 133MHz 128MB board. Running half the memory, it's bloody slow now though.....

Lyle