[tlug] Port Knocking . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (was Re: Blocking bad sshd bruteforce attempt)

Joe Larabell wrote:

> I recall ... a daemon on the target machine to watch for SYN
> packets to some combination of ports in sequence
> and *only then* would it open up a hole in the firewall.

Indeed.

The name for that technique is called port knocking.

> This is still security by obscurity

Indeed.

> but... it's so incredibly obscure that the probability of NMAP
> hitting this combination completely by accident is microscopic.

Indeed.

Just because it NMAP would not open it by accident,
doesn't mean that there aren't other non-accidental ways.

> If you combine this with complete firewall blockage for random
> port scans on other ports, you would also make it difficult to
> find the port combination by trial-and-error.

Indeed.

Hence replay attacks.

> (too lazy to google it right now)

Indeed.

   http://portknocking.org/view/details
   http://www.shorewall.net/PortKnocking.html
   http://software.newsforge.com/software/04/08/02/1954253.shtml

Port knocking is nice for reducing the amount of junk in your logs.

Have fun with port knocking.