[tlug] print setup: letter vs. A4

Hi all,

I use debian testing (amd64) and I have cups installed.

I want to print on A4 papers and never on letter size papers. Thus I
have selected "a4" everywhere I saw it. Explicitely:

1. cat /etc/papersize
a4

2. in cups configuration (through web interface), I have selected
"set printer options" -> media size A4
The printer setup is like this:
Make and Model: HP LaserJet Series CUPS v1.1
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
Device URI: lpd://XXX.XXXX.XXX.XXX/lp

Please note, that I am printing through lpd to a windows mashine running
lpd. There is no local printer attached to my mashine.

3. in firefox, File->Print->Properties->Paper size: A4

But still, when I send a print job using xpdf, gv or firefox, the
printer says "load letter" and waits for my action, which is quite
annoying when you print more than one page at once.
On the other hand, when printing from mutt, the job gets through well.
It is printed on a4 paper without asking.

In my .muttrc I have print_command "muttprint". And in /etc/Muttprint I
have PRINT_COMMAND="lpr". But no A4. In comment it says, the muttprint
will look into /etc/papersize (which has correct value).

I wonder where I should look in my system to ged rid of this issue?

These packages are installed:
cupsys 1.2.1-3
cupsys-bsd 1.2.1-3
cupsys-client 1.2.1-3