Re: [tlug] Japanese input on Centos

On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 12:32:34PM +0900, Jason Hall wrote:
> Thanks for the help. Here are responses to some of the comments and
> information people have provided so far:
>
> ------------
> Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
>
> > You need to run each application that uses kinput2 in the following
> > environment:
> >	LANG=ja_JP.eucJP XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2"
>
> I followed what was in Scott's instructions and put the following in my
> environment:
> 	export XMODIFIERS='@example.com=SCIM'
> 	export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
> 	export QT_IM_MODULE="scim"
> 	export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8

Stephen's advice is for using kinput2-canna with EUC encoding.
In this case, we're trying with scim first.  (And with utf-8).

> My LANG is
> 	LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> I read somewhere that this should work. Anybody else know? I'll try changing it.

I've found that with some apps and some O/S's you need to set LC_CTYPE
to ja_JP.UTF-8 and with other apps and O/S's you can leave it at
en_US.UTF-8 (and leave LANG alone.)

There hasn't been any consistancy in this--for example, in ArchLinux I
had to set firefox to ja_JP.UTF-8 in FreeBSD I didn't, or perhaps vice
versa.  In NetBSD, nothing worked with en_US.UTF-8, it had to be
ja_JP.UTF-8.  (Again, all this is for LC_CTYPE, and leaving LANG unset.)

> Jim <jep200404@example.com> wrote:
>
> > The easy way to install the Japanese IME is to select the Japanese
> > language during the initial installation as one of the languages that
> > the machine will use.
> I don't remember if Japanese support was installed originally on the
> workstation I'm using. I suppose not since I did add some things so that
> I could read Japanese.

In this case, as Jim wrote in other posts, it could be the cause of the
problem.

> I had the impression that even if Japanese support was included in the
> original installation, only display of Japanese text would work while
> input support would still require additional setup.

I believe, (but haven't used RH based distros in awhile) that you are
correct, but I think that as Jim points out somewhere, it still might
install various libs and such that would be necessary for input.  I
suspect that with most distros today, you can view Japanese even if you
haven't specifically installed support for it.

> --------------------
> Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:
>

> > Next, what terminal are you using.  Some of them don't support various
> > input methods.
> No terminal needed, just OpenOffice & Evolution.

OpenOffice can also sometimes be tricky.  Have you gone to
Tools=>Langauges and enabled Japanese support, and does it show some
Japanese fonts in the font selection?

> > Do you have the recommended lines in your .bash_profile?
> Copied right out of your instructions.
>
> > Now, hit ctl+space.  In that little thingie on the right, is one
> > of the choices anthy?
> ctrl+space never did anything.

Hrrm, rude of it.  That possibly means that that particular app won't
work with it.  Again, check the Tools=>Language settings in OO, I'm not
sure about Evolution having never used it.

I'd like to see you check it with uxterm though, and see if you have any
joy with that.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Angel: Buffy, careful with this gift. Lots of things that seem
strong and good and powerful, they can be painful.
Buffy: Like, say, immortality?
Angel: Exactly. I'm dying to get rid of that.
Buffy: Funny.
Angel: I'm a funny guy.