Re: [tlug] Power Consumption Reduction (was Power Consumption Cost)

Jim wrote:
Find a laptop that is old enough to not run XP well. I think most of those are in the 20 to 40 Watt range. That will be a small enough amount of power to be affordable at home, even at 25 Yen/kWh.

I use a Dell laptop (whose screen is off it's hinges and thus not good for normal use) as a home server open to the web.

Laptops tend to be rather warm inside, and laptop drives don't last as long anyway, so if I was running a laptop 24/7, I would likely add an external fan to help lower the temperature of the harddrive.

Mine runs 24/7 and is OK for normal use, however if the processor runs near 100% for a good while it tends to get very hot, and has locked up on occasion due to the heat.

Better yet, remove the internal laptop hard drive and use an external (USB) hard drive instead that is much easier to cool, and much easier to get in big capacities for much less Yen than laptop hard drives.

I think this is good advice, as long as the processor itself is not expected to run hot for extended periods.

Since I don't use too much computing power, ...

an old laptop will have enough balls.

Second that, assuming sparse usage.

BAB