[tlug] Virtual server hosting (was: Power Consumption Cost)

Micheal E Cooper <mcooper@example.com> writes:
> Recommendations for affordable virtual server hosting, please. I
> cannot afford a second AC or the power to run server from home. I was
> doing it for a while with DDNS, and it just got silly. I would like to
> get REALLY into django or zope (still on the fence). There is a web
> app that I have been wanting to create for some time now.

I use www.unixshell.com

It is unmanaged (they don't support except billing stuff and problems
with their web interface), but cheap. Unfortunately I just checked their
website and it seems they don't have any more space in their datacenter
for now...

You can install the distribution you want (from one of their images),
and then have total control over your virtual server.

I haven't had any problems with them except that they required me to fax
my visa card and my ID card (maybe because I am not american and live in
a strange country ;).

Evan