[tlug] CentOS & RHEL (was Re: Fedora is fun to play with, but poor for servers that face the web (was Upgrading to PHP5 on Fedora))

Jim wrote:

> Better yet, upgrade to Centos. The whole Fedora series is for playing
> around with, but not for running production servers exposed to the web.
>

> <snip>
>
> Centos has support for _years_, by tracking RHEL.
>

> <snip>
>
> Centos.
>
> It's not as exciting as Fedora Core, but it's more robust.

So what is the deal with CentOS and RHEL? Is Centos just a copy of the
free parts of RHEL, or is it a separate distro that aims for complete
compatibility?

I use RHEL, but I would like to experiment more and not have to learn
other distros yet, so maybe CentOS would be a good way to run something
RHEL-like without the flakiness of Fedora Core. I have had enough of FCx.

mec

begin:vcard
fn:Micheal Cooper
n:Cooper;Cooper
org:Miyazaki International College;Computing Services
adr:;;1405 Kano;Kiyotake;Miyazaki;8891602;Japan
email;internet:mcooper@example.com
tel;work:0985-85-5931
tel;fax:0985-84-3396
x-mozilla-html:FALSE