[tlug] Webcams from Biku Camera

TLUG,

I've been having a lot of fun using Skype on my Ubuntu machine for talking to friends and family all over the place.

Thought I'd go the next step and get myself one of them snazzy web cams and do some video talking.

I can get a web cam from Biku Camera for pretty much nothing with my Biku point card. The one I'm looking at is the Logicool Qcam Connect. I *think* it's the same as the Logitech QuickCam IM/Connect, just a different name for the Japanese market.

If that's true that it is the same camera, then it's listed as having Linux support on this page:
http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html

But... I've been burned by this kind of thing before. When I bought my Hauppauge TV card, I first looked around the net and found all sorts of sites that said it was supported. I got the impression that, as far as TV tuner cards go, it was a popular and fairly standard choice for Linux users. Thus I made my decision that it was the one to buy, feeling like a smart Linux consumer, having done the research and being cautious in my purchase.

After I bought it, I discovered that it was indeed usable with Linux. If one was willing to spend forever searching for decent instructions, ask questions on at least 4 mailing lists, and spend endless hours compiling, configuring, finding out that it doesn't work because of a missing something-or-other and then starting over again. It took me about two months before I got a TV signal on my desktop, and I have to redo the whole source-compile thing with every kernel upgrade.

I used to think "supported" meant "most likely works, maybe with one or two minor configuration tweaks". Now I know it means "might work automagically out of the box, or maybe you'll need to be one of the world's last COBOL programmers who can visually interpret machine code and spend three years at Xerox labs to research and develop the correct driver".

Back to web cams. To hopefully save myself the heartache of discovering that the webcam I bought is "supported" in the most esoteric sense of the word, I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with any of the brands available here in Japan.

Is anyone using a web cam? Which one? What software are you using to do video calls over the internet? What drivers did you use and do you have any tips?

--
Dave M G