Re: [tlug] Lightweight Window Manager, unicode happy, (maybe Icewm?)

On 02/06/06, David Riggs <dariggs@example.com> wrote:

KDE works fine [...]
Can anyone recommend a simpler lighter window manager that is
unicode/Japanese savvy?

Well, you have to realise that KDE is more than just a window manager.
If you do realise that, and you are cool with less integration, then
by all means give a regular window manager a try. I personally like
FluxBox, mainly because it is extremely configurable. OpenBox is
supposed to be an even lighter "box" WM. You can keep on using kterm
with the window manager of your choice, or you can try out a more
lightweight terminal emulator, like mlterm (I personally use Gnome
Terminal, because it handles M17N extremely well).

If you want something that is more like KDE, only less so, try out
XFCE. It is a full-fledged "Desktop Environment", like Gnome and KDE,
but with less cruft.

-Josh