Re: [tlug] radicals and graphemes

"Michael Engel" <mkengel@example.com> wrote:

>> And the two tools of Professor Tanaka-Ishii and Hans-Joerg Bibiko are
>> tools which should facilitate the access to the character which is
>> searched.

Multi-grapheme lookups have been around in Japanese for years. The
free ones almost all use the grapheme-decomposition Michael Raine and
I did in the mid-90s. (Hans-Joerg's does; I don't know about Tanaka-Ishii.)
You can see mine at
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1R

Multi-grapheme lookups (aka multi-radical) are very popular with users.
On my WWWJDIC server it is the most popular kanji lookup technique. You
can see the results of some measurements I did in a paper I presented
at a COLING workshope a couple of years ago.
(http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/kanjindx.html)

Jim

--
Jim Breen                                http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/
Clayton School of Information Technology,               Tel: +61 3 9905 9554