Re: [tlug] Printer Not Responding

Scott,

Thanks for patiently explaining things to me. I apologize for throwing things off course by reinstalling CUPS. I thought no harm could come since nothing was working anyway. I was not really considering the implications on any progress in discussions here.
What site?
Sorry, I accidentally edited out the actual URL. The site is not the CUPS site, which I find byzantine. It's this site:
http://www.techbuilder.org/recipes/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=167600449&printableArticle=true
... Which is just a howto for installing Canon printers in Linux. It's my touchstone for starting the process because it worked flawlessly in Ubuntu 5.10

Hrrm, is the USB device showing in /dev?
As far as I understand it, yes. The device takes device URI "canon_usb:/dev/usblp0: in the CUPS web interface, and indeed in the /dev directory there is a usblp0 file when the printer is turned on.

I'm not sure where to point you next.  If you have a parallel cable, you
might try that. and see if the results are different.
Unfortunately the printer only has a USB connection.
# Restrict access to the server...
<Location />
 Order allow,deny
 Allow localhost
</Location>
Again, you might try Allow All for a start to see if that makes any
difference.
I gave it a shot, but no difference.

I'm stepping out on a limb here, but might this be a more general USB problem and not a printer problem? I wonder because the symptoms of the problem seem so similar to my palm pilot. Simply no action between the device and any application, despite the desired device files being present in /dev.

Or is that just crazy?

--
Dave M G