Re: [tlug] Need purchasing advice for a linux compatible desktop

Hello, like to introduce myself.
My name is Birkir. I'm from Iceland and I am currently working at a Japanese software company in Tokyo. I've been lurking on the mail list for a few weeks since I came across tlug. Been using Linux (Fedora and Gentoo along with a taste of others) since around fall last year after a cold turkey jump from Windows.

Hope to get know you all.

A few pointers here on the purchasing advice,

5. Be able to use an iPod with it

Rhythmbox is an iTunes clone and seems to support iPod, although I have no personal experience with it. My impression is that you can move songs and playlists although you shouldn't expect iTunes Store or FairPlay support. But then again that might just be a good thing.

3. Have a dual boot setup with GNU/Linux on one partition and Windows
(any version from Windows 2000 or later) on another

As someone mentioned this is no problem, given Grub or Lilo.
Also, SATA is no problem for new distributions. I recently added a SATA drive and had no problems detecting, partitioning nor mounting such a drive.

Sincerely,

BAB