Re: [tlug] how to input not so often used characters: takashimaya-no-taka

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 09:14:59 +0900
"Evan Monroig" <evan.monroig@example.com> wrote:

> I would like to input some characters that are slightly different
> versions of the commonly used ones: the "taka" that can be found in
> "takashimaya", and a character whose reading is "hama" and whose glyph
> slightly differs from "濱".
>
> I have 2 computers, one with Mac OS X and one running ubuntu. I tried
> to input those characters as I do usually (input the romaji, hit
> space, space, space... until you find the correct one), but it didn't
> work. On Mac OS X I use whatever is the default kanji input method,
> and on ubuntu I use anthy.

I did see this once somewhere in an input method, possibly it was on
windows.
I still have plans to implement such an input mode for im-ja, that is by
selecting radicals which are part of the kanji that you want to input but
don't know the reading of.
It's just a matter of some time and ripping out some code from gjiten.
Still on my todo list.

BTW, a guy just did something like this a while ago for the exact same
purpose (ie, he ripped out the relevant code from gjiten):
http://freshmeat.net/projects/klookup/