[tlug] Printer Not Responding

TLUG,

Hot on the heels of the great success in getting the Wacom to work, I'm going to turn to TLUG's excellent advice for my printer. I don't think this one should be quite as complicated. I hope I didn't jinx myself by saying that.

Here's everything I know about my situation:

I have a Canon Pixus ip3100 printer, for which Canon Japan provides Linux drivers for. It connects by USB.

I followed the instructions on this web page:
http://www.techbuilder.org/recipes/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=167600449&printableArticle=true

Which, happily, specifically mentioned my make and model, which made it easy to follow.

The main trick on my last computer was identifying the printer location. On my old computer, it wouldn't work until I entered "/dev/usb/lp0" as the printer location.

This time, however, perhaps because Ubuntu Dapper has an updated version of CUPS or something, there wasn't a field to enter printer location. At least not clearly.

That said, both CUPS and printconf both seem to find my printer:

dave@example.com:~$ sudo printconf
Printer on usb:/dev/usblp0 was not automatically configurable by Debian.
Please submit the following information to foomatic-db@example.com:
<autodetect>
<usb>
  <commandset>BJL,BJRaster3,BSCCe</commandset>
  <description>Canon iP_3100</description>
  <manufacturer>Canon</manufacturer>
  <model>iP_3100</model>
</usb>
</autodetect>

* Stopping Common Unix Printing System: cupsd [ ok ]
* Starting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd    ...done.
If printconf was unable to install all of your printers, please visit
http://www.linuxprinting.org/ for printer information and support from fellow
users.

Everything seems to go according to plan when installing the printer, but when I print a test page, nothing happens. It immediately shows the job as being complete: Test Page guest 18k Unknown completed at Fri Mar 31 11:04:24 2006 ... but no pages get printed. The printer doesn't even make any noise to indicate it's receiving any signal of any kind.

Is there anything else I can do to probe the conditions of my printer, or modify settings to see what the problem is?

Any advice would be much appreciated

--
Dave M G