[tlug] Beware e2labels and Knoppix swap

Scott VanDusen wrote:

> I've taken the cracked server offline ...

Good.

When you stick the corrupted drive in another machine for
forensic analysis, beware of e2label causing the wrong
partitions to be mounted upon booting.

Red Hat (and derivative) distros are quite vulnerable to this.
Nevermind corrupted computers, I've seen RH make very stupid
mounting choices when there is more than one partition with the
same e2label, because I put two drives with RH on them in the
same box.

Knoppix is a bit safer to work with. Be sure to specify noswap
when booting to ensure that no crumbs of info in the swap
partition are obliterated.