Re: [tlug] Does Linux need, or have, a firewall?

On 22/02/06, Dave Gutteridge <dave@example.com> wrote:
    Currently, I'm attempting to use aMule. In the preferences of that
application, and on my router, it should be accepting connections on
port 4662.

    But when I look at at the Firestarter interface, it says it is
blocking connections to 4662. Further, it lists aMule as trying
connecting on port 80. I'm not sure if that's outbound or inbound. But
if it is outbound, it should be port 4672, I believe.

netstat -ashould list all port use, including ones that are just listening without any active connections.  There's a way of getting the processes using these ports but I forget how - perhaps fuser or lsof will do it, but you'll have to read the manual pages as I don't have them to hand.

Unless aMule is running as root, it can't listen or connect from port 80.  Anything under 1023 can't be got at unless you're privileged.

HTH,

--
Ian.