Re: [tlug] Japanese dictionaries

Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:
> David Stibbe wrote:
>

>> I am planning to create a dictionary tool for Linux and was wondering,
>> what are the most commonly used dictionary tools out there nowadays (on
>> windows and linux) ?  I'm quite familiar with xjdic and JWPce. I
>> probably don't know half of all the dictionary tools out there I believe...
>>

> Although it's based on a commercially purchased database, the ebview
> program enables me to use the dictionaries I paid for on Linux, and off
> the hard drive. I prefer using dictionaries off of the hard drive and
> not off an on-line database. Naturally I research things on-line, but
> for a straightforward dictionary, I prefer it all to be sitting on the
> hard drive. I like owning that database and not having to pull it off of
> a distant machine.

ebview is just an epwing dictionary viewer, it might be setup by default
on your distribution to use a commercial epwing dictionary but it is not
a requirement.  There are a lot of [1]free epwing dictionaries available
and even [2]tools to make your own.

Edward

1. http://openlab.ring.gr.jp/edict/fpw/
2. http://www.sra.co.jp/people/m-kasahr/freepwing/