Re: [tlug] unable to create local copy utf8 encoded Japanese MySQLdata

On 14/02/06, Dave Gutteridge <dave@example.com> wrote:

> Most of the Japanese text shows up readable. Some of it, however, shows up as coded
> numbers (I'm not sure what the term is when utf displays this way):
> &#12513;&#12540;&#12531;&#12539; I think this might be "legacy" data,
> held over from the days when MySQL did not have utf8 support.

I believe these are known as Unicode entities.

If you can detect them in the database, I am sure there is a way in
(pick your P) Perl, Python, PHP (or Ruby, etc.) to read them as
entities and write them as proper Unicode characters.

Try looking at this page for ideas:

http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/search?query=entity

-Josh