[tlug] Videodev problem

Hello :)

On my graphics card, there is a video-in option supported by (Phillips?)
saa7114h chip. But so far I could not get it work properly.  I would
like to know your comments/tips how to proceed in debugging :)

First some info about my system:
I use pure amd64 port of Debian. Distro kernel, which is
2.6.15-1-amd64-k8
The graphics card is Inno3D GeForce FX 5500  ... see [1]

So what I have done so far:

# modprobe saa7114 debug=1

this produces following two lines in dmegs:
saa7114.c: starting probe for adapter SMBus nForce2 adapter at 1c00
(0x0)
saa7114.c: starting probe for adapter SMBus nForce2 adapter at 2000
(0x0)

# modprobe videodev

which produces in dmesg:
Linux video capture interface: v1.00

Well, let's proceed:
# xawtv
This is xawtv-3.94, running on Linux/x86_64 (2.6.15-1-amd64-k8)
can't open /dev/video0: No such file or directory
v4l-conf had some trouble, trying to continue anyway
v4l2: open /dev/video0: No such file or directory
v4l2: open /dev/video0: No such file or directory
v4l: open /dev/video0: No such file or directory
no video grabber device available
#

So here is the problem. It seems to me that saa7114h chip was not
detected properly. Is that right? How do I become sure that the saa7114
module actualy find the chip and after that videodev correctly
"connects" the device?

Finaly, beside trying to understand how things work, I would like to
come to the state where I will be able to transfer video from
videorecorder (tape) to my pc (perhaps a .mpg file) :)
I plan to use utilize "rivatv" project [2] for this purpose.

[1]
http://www.inno3d.com/products/geforce_fx/fx5500.html
http://www.czechcomputer.cz/product.jsp?artno=26443

[2] http://rivatv.sourceforge.net/