Re: [tlug] Skype windows vs linux again

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 09:40:35 -0800 sjs <sjs@example.com> wrote:

> My problem just happened again.
> The people in Tokyo were on XP with Skype 2.0.... and I had my linux box
> with Skype 1.whatever ...

> The people in Tokyo were complaining about sever echo -- so bad it was
> unusable. Both checked their systems using echo123 and they were fine.

> I had an XP system ... Skype
> and in the length of time it took me to disconnect from the linux box
> and reconnect (seconds) from the XP box things got just fine.

> I think that eliminates network issues.

It does suggest that network issues are not the problem,
but it does not eliminate network issues as a cause.
Because network traffic varies so much, it can be difficult
to definitively nail down cause and effect for network
timing issues.

Also, when both machines are firewalled, neither can directly
talk to the other, so they have to talk indirectly, through
intermediaries. One can expect the indirect communication to
add delay and perhaps other network funkiness.

It would not surprise me if the Linux box had its own firewalling
by default, so if there was not a separate dedicated firewall box,
then one would not be surprised by Linux suffering the
consequences of having to talk through intermediaries,
whereas an insecure XP box could directly talk with the other peer.