Re: [tlug] 2G SD Card Adventures on a Zaurus

DOS PARA (http://www.dospara.co.jp).
> I was hoping it was a driver problem.  SD is a proprietary protocol so
> the drivers still have bugs.  I  have not had time to check but I

The Linux drivers for the sd card? The sd cards themselves? Or the
firmware driver on
the sd card reader devices? I have some fuzzy memory that you mentioned
it is the drivers
in the sd cards themselves. Always great to know the hardware is 中途半端 :)

> believe 7XX series use 255 series cpus which are limited to single
> channel MMC/SD.  Our 2G SD card may not support this mode of operation.

I'm not familiar with single channel MMC/SD or x-channel. Is there a
good overview on
the technical aspects for sd cards that I can read up on? I'm curious
about it but my
lame googling attempts didn't bring much in the way of good technical beef.
> I did however read that these particular SD cards have upgradeable
> firmware so it might be possible. I was also told by the shop I bought
> the SD card from that the Zaurus would work with the 1G model of the
> same card so it might just be a Linux driver bug.

I was told the 1G cards also work on the Zaurus as well. Too bad I
didn't pick one of
those up. How do you upgrade the firmware on sd cards? If the protocol
is proprietary,
seems like the tools to upgrade the firmware might be proprietary or
Windoze-only.
> If you format the sd card make sure you don't use fat16.  If you do it
> will become a 1G card and you will have to use the tool on the following

Eh? Why so? Actually I think in my testing I ended up formatting the sd
card as fat16
in Windoze and I don't remember it 'becoming' a 1G card. But maybe I
better double
check up on this. Maybe I have a 1G card and I just don't know it.

Alain