Re: [tlug] First impressions of Gentoo

On 1/26/06, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
> The emerges I've tried so far seem to be working well (although it was
> a little shocking to ask for links---a text-mode browser---and get all
> of xorg pulled in!)
 I'm usually doing: emerge -p -v links before the actual install. It
will tell you what exactly will be installed and the flags (like X,
jpeg etc.). In your case maybe adding USE="-X" to your /etc/make.conf
will help. On my system:

--- [ /etc/make.conf ]---
USE="-X -kde -gnome -gtk -qt -arts -motif -nls -opengl -xv -jpeg -png
-tiff -ldap -cups -java"

# emerge -p -v links

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild  N    ] www-client/links-2.1_pre19  -X -directfb -fbcon +gpm
-javascript -jpeg -livecd -png +ssl (-svga) -tiff -unicode 3,758 kB

Total size of downloads: 3,758 kB