Re: [tlug] Skype Ports/Servers(IPs) Query

Hi Mark,

Mark Sargent wrote:
> Also, is there a central
> server or allocation of servers(IPs) for skype use?

I'm afraid I can't answer your question directly but I can point you to some
interesting papers the Skype Protocol:
An Analysis of the Skype Peer-to-Peer Protocol
http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~salman/publications/cucs-039-04.pdf
The Wikipedia article on Skype
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skype

I read/glanced at the first paper back in 2004 when it made
headlines onto Slashdot awhile back however my memory on what I read
is quite fuzzy on the details except that Skype tends to use some sort
of peer to peer communications rather than work on the traditional
client-server model for parts of its protocol. I hope others on the list
can clarify my lack of clarification for you :)

Cheers,
Alain