Re: [tlug] Should we stop password protecting the TLUG archives?

Josh Glover wrote:
>>So I would vote for a total removal of every address occurence (header
>>only). People who write their email in signature or write an email
>>address in the body do it to be known by the community. But there are
>>surely some issues on this point, right?
>
> I disagree. For example, if I quote someone, my attribution contains
> their email address. It is not fair that they are now exposed due to
> my choice.

But you decided first to expose it to a public list... This would be a
mistake at first.
But I agree on the principal, at least for past archives - better not to
take any risk.
But not for future posts (when opened and known opened), where body &
signature addresses should not be hidden (How would I give the list of
the useful Microsoft support email?)

> I think that anything that looks like an email address should be munged.

Agreed, for *past* ones.

>>Another option: Replace addresses for other ones. Some people have
>>different addresses, some being considered as rather SPAM free.
>>For instance, I would like my current address (bruno@example.com - spam free) to
>>be changed to (br@example.com) in the archives, but not in the original posting.
>>Much more difficult, I guess.
>
> Basically impossible, in terms of the amount of work it would cause.

No. Just some script could replace AAA by BBB when archiving. Not so
difficult I guess - except if I miss something. If people are interested
in the idea, I volonteer to do the job - except if I miss something ;-)

>>>* Should we keep the archives closed, but choose highlights from the
>>>archive to put on the web site?
>>>** Should we do this anyway?  If so who is going to volunteer to
>>>organize this?
>>
>>And on which criteria?
> Does anyone like my Wiki idea?

You got one vote.

>>Even the admin list, by the way: In a thread over there, someone wrote
>>that the admin list should remain closed. I don't think so (the same
>>admin issues are common to all lists, and tlug discussions could be useful).
>
> No, I think the admin list should remain closed. Too much information
> on our hardware and so on can be gleaned, and there is no real value
> to making this stuff public.

No "country security" issue.
I think it should be opened to public or closed (I mean completely
closed - no meaning for it). Again, if there is sensible information,
which I think this mailing list does not have, it should not be there,
"half opened". About tlug "hardware and so" information, I don't see why
it should be more closed than the source running on it.
Private issues directly or by email, regular mail, "beer discussion",
and surely not on a public list.

Bruno.

--
GPG Key: 653514E5 (http://www.raoult.com/gpg)
Unix is user friendly. He's just very picky about who his friends are...