Re: [tlug] CentOS to Gentoo-Pros/Cons(if any)?

Hi Mark
I think most important for what do you want to run the system, for desktop or server or cluster or server farm and how many servers you will administrate. From my small experience Gentoo is good for desktop as you do it everything by you self but if you come from GUI will be more difficult from the start but it is not impossible. If you admin for 1-20 servers Gentoo is OK more servers could be tuff because if software is diff on all the server you will need a good planing for update and need to check all updates separate for each server. The best server space for Gentoo is running on Cluster or Server farms with some modification to portage and special server only for compilation as binary update server could be officiant solution.
This is my opinion after 3 years of using Gentoo.
Regards
Mudrii

Mark Sargent wrote:
Hi All,

ok, I started with Redhat 9, then progressed to Fedora2/3 and now mainly use CentOS, although, I enjoyed Fedora also, but CentOS is more stable. Now, I've been toying with the idea of Gentoo, and well, am not sure if it will be that advantageous, or not. I'm comfortable with YUM or RPM installls, and have no problems with compile installs, when needed, although, I'm no expert, and often seek help via the distros' list. Whilst not wanting to start a, this is better than this, flame war, I know that quite a few members here are Gentoo users, so, thought I'd ask if you guys would like to try convincing me to jump, or at least allocate some time to try it out. Without being negative, I don't like to follow the pack, usually, but, being only an Intermediate Level Linux floosie, understand that there just may be benefits that I'm not aware of yet. Curious about your thoughts on Gentoo, and it's comparisons to what you used before. Cheers.

Let the fun begin.

Mark Sargent.