Re: [tlug] Clunk, Clunk, the Drive is Dead

I do not think that such an action could cause the demise. Or at least
that it is very, very unlikely to do so. I'd suggest loading up knoppix
and seeing if you can read the volume. Also if you need the info from the
drive,  putting it in the freezer for a hour or so can sometimes make it
work fine. I have a little converter that lets me hook up laptop drives on
my desktop, it was real cheap and I think someone posted that they were
available in Tokyo.

Overall drives just wear out eventually. The thing is if it really did
die, it would have died anyway; writing to the disk when the power goes
off is just an aspect of normal drive behavior and should result in some
corrupted data at most. I don't know what critical information would be
written to a dive as the OS is sutting down, but perhaps something
critical got messed up. In that case I'd try re-formating it (perhaps
low-level) and see if you can get the drive to behave. You might check the
warrenty though. Many of the manufacturers warrenty their drives by the
serial number these days and don't requrie reciepts. You just go to their
site and check the numbers to see if it's in warrenty.