Re: [tlug] US keyboards

On 12/3/05, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
On 12/3/05, Itaru Kitayama <itaru.kitayama@example.com> wrote:

> I know Dell provides an US keyboard for free if people prefer to have it.
> Do other Japanese vendors charge extra for switching to an US keyboard?
> Looks Sony asks +5000 yen more.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I have to say, after
expressing a strong opinion on Japanese keyboards (I think I may have
implied that "they suck"), I have now come to believe that they may be
*better* for coders and sysadmins. Having '@' and ':' accessible
without resorting to the Shift key is pretty wonderful. :)

Tiny delete keys are baaad.  As are mode-change keys where I want to hit the spacebar.

However, I'm an scatterfingers typist (hence the missing of keys and from there the use of delete), and I suppose that this may not be such an issue for touch typists...

--
Ian.