Re: [tlug] Free program translates Euro languages ....

Drew Poulin <poulin@example.com> wrote:
>> Micheal E Cooper wrote:
>>
>> > What I wanted was a program that would parse my document into jukugo
>> > blocks and then pull the definitions, complete with pronunciations, from
>> > the dictionary for me.
>>
>> If I'm not mistaken, Jeffrey Friedl's perl script Lookup, which has been
>> around for quite a while, can run through a text file and augment the
>> text with definitions from EDICT-format dictionary files.
>>
>> http://www.wfms.org/lookup/

I think you've conflated two things. Lookup is a regex etc. package in C.
There was an old Perl system for glossing text, but it hasn't been sighted
for years.

Straight glossing with EDICT is not that good. In WWWJDIC  I use a big
(650,000 entry) composite file with priority ranking, plus auxiliary
stuff to undo verb inflections, etc. etc.

>> Subject: Re: [tlug] Free program translates Euro languages to/from
>> 	English
>> To: Tokyo Linux Users Group <tlug@example.com>
>>
>> On 11/2/05, Michael Reinsch <mr@example.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Maybe you mean rikai (http://www.rikai.com/perl/Home.pl)?
>>
>> Rikai is a pretty wonderful tool, and I think the chap who wrote it
>> hangs out on this list from time to time. Todd, if you are listening,
>> thanks!

Very cool, and if I could find the energy I'd do something similar
with WWWJDIC's glossing. I usually avoid lashings of Javascript like the
plague.  The popups in WWWJDIC use standard HTML4.

I suspect Rikai is a wee bit ambitious in spots. Last time I looked it
told you the した of 勉強した meant tongue.

Jim

--
Jim Breen                                http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/
Clayton School of Information Technology,               Tel: +61 3 9905 9554