Re: [tlug] Paper Handling in Printers

Rubber parts that pick up and manipulate the paper must have the
right friction and elasticity. New rubber parts have the right
friction and elasticity, but deterioration over time degrades
them, so they have to be replaced.

   Such is life.  Get over it.

Manufacturers often have maintainance schedules to replace
such parts before they go bad.
Replacement parts from the printer manufacturers often cost more
than the printer is worth, but replacement parts are available
at reasonable prices from other vendors, especially for the
best known printers (such as HP). Google for replacement
rollers (or whatever part you need) and your printer's make
and model.

At ten years old, two HP LJ4 printers of mine started jamming.
One I fixed by buying new rollers. I paid $25 for a kit with
more parts than I needed. It would only have been $10 to $15
if I'd only bought only the one bad part. I fixed the other
printer by removing the same bad roller and very lightly scuffing the
surfaces with 1000 grit (US) sandpaper. Both work fine now.
Quite frankly, I was surprised that I was able to go ten years
before replacing them.

Other tricks could be to put a new skin of rubber over old parts.
This might be the only option for some obscure printers.
Be sure to measure the old parts before modifying them.
(Just like backing up your hard drive before upgrades)

Things that deteriorate rubber parts are:

   age (even sealed in packages)
   ultraviolet radiation (sun and flourescent lights)
   pollution (both ambient and ozone produced by laser printers)
   heat (parts near fusers are often hot)
   friction (changes shape (not material) through wear)

Get some ordinary rubber bands. Put half of them on a sunny
window ledge and the other half of them in zip lock bag in a
freezer. After a few months try to stretch them.

Yes, big city smog is bad for rubber, not just living things.