Re: [tlug] Ubuntu Breezy and Knoppix 4

>Hi Joseph,
>
>One thing regarding SuSE: The new version seems to have done things
>correctly as far as the multi-lingual desktop is concerned.

Good news.  I like being able to switch between Japanese and English
whenever i want to.
>All languages have the input method enabled, so you can type in CJK from
>any locale. During setup it allows you to select the main system
>language and all the supplemental languages you want on the system (a la
>Fedora Core). I still had to select gdm overt kdm manually, but other
>than that it worked just exactly as I thought it should (I live/work in
>a highly multi-cultural environment with some 12 languages, so I'm happy
>it was so easy).
>
>As for the specifics of scim/anthy in SuSE 10, it does remember the last
>kanji you typed in and the number input also works so they seem to have
>corrected the issues you alluded to in your message.

Great!
>In general, I'd have to say I'm very happy with Ubuntu and Knoppix as
>well. In fact I just installed Ubuntu 5.10 for a friend and it works
>wonderfully. It's a noticeable step up from 5.04. I just wish the
>Kubuntu desktop didn't have such horribly gimpy default settings. Still,
>the newbie question of "How do I install flash player" and such are
>still problematic. It's be nice if it were "just there", but I
>understand why it's not.
>
>FWIW, they all need to make some use out of Con Kolivas' patchset. It
>works incredibly well for desktop interactivity. When I'm busy I tend to
>have insane amounts of disk work going on which tends to bring systems
>(windows or linux) to their knees. With Con's patch, no matter what
>insane load I give my system to do, the desktop always reacts as though
>the machine is idle.
>
>It was disheartening to see Ubuntu start to stutter and freeze a bit
>during the kubuntu-desktop package install.

Hmm...  I still don't know what Kubuntu is, but...
I'm going to install the official edition of Breezy (as opposed the
"unofficial Japanese" one) on my Mac, since there is no Japanese edition
for the Mac.  The live CD seems to work really well on it.  I'll watch
to see if i get any stuttering or freezing during installation.

Thanks, Neil.
Joe