Re: [tlug] Ubuntu Breezy and Knoppix 4

Joseph Essertier <essertier@example.com> writes:

[...]
> But Knoppix is even better.  You get 3 or 4 different Japanese input
> options, including Wnn (i think version 8) and another i saw for the
> first time, not Anthy or Canna, which was wonderful.  It guesses words
> and pretty long, set phrases from the get-go.  Often it guesses right
> after only 2 or 3 letters and you just hit the return button.  Much
> easier on your fingers and probably a little faster.
>
> The Japanese version of Knoppix i got from the Nov. issue of Japanese
> Linux World.  Well worth the 1,500 yen.  The explanation of how to use
> it in the magazine was quite readable and useful too.

So just to be clear, is the Knoppix 4 you installed the
Japanese-specific distro? Probably from the here -

  http://unit.aist.go.jp/itri/knoppix/
  http://unit.aist.go.jp/itri/knoppix/index-en.html

If so, some 3.x version of that is what I run on my laptop
(Thinkpad T42p). Install was a relative breeze and all Japanese
support (fonts, localized menus, IMEs) worked right out of the box
without me needing to do any additional config.

And everything else works quite well (um, expect in the case of
driving an external projector -- the people who were lucky enough
to witness the unintended comedy of TLUG DocBook presentation can
attest to that). Also, I have some cases of font bizareness for
glyphs for a few uncommon characters. It's possible that might be
due to some kludge that's in the Japan Knoppix files.

The Knoppix Japan LiveCD is also a great choice for showing/giving
to people. It defaults to a Japanese environment, so people trying
it can get started right away without needing to do anything special.

  --Mike

--
Michael Smith
http://sideshowbarker.net/