Re: [tlug] GPS units in Japan

David,

I bought the VistaC US version from auction.yahoo.co.jp two weeks ago for 41,000 yen.  Seems someone brought a few over in his suitcase).  The display is very good and I am very happy with the response times and Satelite acquisition speed.  (I used it on the weekend in the Minami-Alps).

I also took the risk and ignored Garmins official warning of Japanese maps not working and bought Japan Topo10.  And they really don't work.  The reason is that you cannot unlock them on the website as the serial number does not match your Device ID (the VistaC is not available in Japan).

However, using a shareware I managed to load graphics from the mapsource which showed height lines even without unlocking it.  Instead of names only garbashe was displayed, so its somewhat difficult to identify the area covered by the map.  I have to look at it a bit more to check out whether it can be made to work.

The other option is to create your own maps. There is some software to achieve it - you load a normalised map picture (taking several reference points) as a backdrop and then draw roads and points of interest by tracing the scanned map.  You can then upload your drawing.  (I have not tried it yet)

All this software seems to run on windows only, so its not really a subject for the TLUG list.

Last weekend I used the low tech approach: Using Scribus on Linux I made an accurate measurement grid, which I put on OHP media.  I then measured way points on the standard 1:50,000 Map and entered them manually into Garmin. (you could also use mapsource to enter them).  If you want I send the grid tou you.  Accuracy depends on your measuring/estimation skill but it was between 20m and 150m on my trip due to the small scale map.  I plan to make another one for 1:25,000 maps, which will certainly improve the situation.

If you need a metro guide you better use the Japanese version, because PoI become more important.

--
Patrick Niessen