Re: [tlug] Charset and other problems with MySQL versions

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 03:56:34PM +0900, Shawn wrote:

> The client had already started using the new database, so new data had been
> written to it on the new server before we realized that they couldn't make a
> dump of it. That's why I had to take the data out of the 4.1 install (by just
> tarballing the db directories) and move it over to the 3.23, dump it using
> mysqldump under 3.23 and then import with "<" on the command line in 4.1.
> Mysqldump in 4.1 has some stuff for conversion of previous formats, judging
> by some of the output I saw.

> I saw Mauro's mail and read the mysqldump manpage to
> find out more about the -Q option. That seems to have worked - keeping my
> fingers crossed to make sure.

A week later... the client complains of moji-bake when using tables that hold
S-JIS encoded data.

Background:
Transferred table data from MySQL 3.23.58 running to TurboLinux to MySQL
4.1.12 running on FreeBSD. The tables are on a running machine and have had
updates etc. run on them after the data was copied over, so the data is no
longer in the same state it was when it was moved over from the backup.

Here are some MySQL server variables:

=====
character set client  	 latin1  	 latin1
character set connection 	latin1 	latin1
character set database 	latin1 	latin1
character set results 	latin1 	latin1
character set server 	latin1 	latin1
character set system 	utf8 	utf8
character sets dir 	/usr/local/share/mysql/charsets/
/usr/local/share/mysql/charsets/
collation connection 	latin1_swedish_ci 	latin1_swedish_ci
collation database 	latin1_swedish_ci 	latin1_swedish_ci
collation server 	latin1_swedish_ci 	latin1_swedish_ci
=====

Suggestions on how to get S-JIS compatibility? Do I have to recompile the
MySQL server from scratch?

Shawn