Re: [tlug] GNU EMacs & Japanese files

(Apologies in advance for going all Emacsy.  If this is too offtopic for
the list, please just say, but I was assuming that the original poster
might be paying attention still...)

>     >> XEmacs 21.4 on Windows can be built with Mule, but it's not
>     >> supported and has lots of problems.  It's easy to build 21.5 in
>     >> Cygwin, though.
>
>     ijw> I think this is the answer I'm looking for - I didn't realise
>     ijw> that support had improved that dramatically in .5 and .4 is
>     ijw> the default for Cygwin.  I shall experiment...
>
> For Unix platforms, the degree of improvement is so far questionable;
> the external Unicode support has been reimplemented from scratch
> internally.  This has its plusses (mostly for future development) and
> a few minuses.

Well, it works, which is more than I've had since I laast tried Meadow
(and that was quite unpleasant in other ways, and totally lacking in
English documentation).  That rates as a dramatic improvement over what I
was using...

Now, any chance I can persuade it it would like to use a readable Japanese
font as opposed to the strange italicised (or brushed, but in any case
horrendously pixellated) thing it's rendering at the moment?

Also, reading the change documentation, I'm curious to know how the GC
mechanism has been rewritten for XEmacs.  I've recall seeing some
suggestion for a Lisp garbage collector that involved scanning the stack
directly for consblock references, which may have been vrey efficient but
looked totally appalling...

--
Ian.