Re: [tlug] Has anyone bought boxed distros in Japan?

Joshua@example.com wrote:

>A while ago I noticed a small shelf in Yodobashi Camera selling RedHat and
>Turbo in shrink wrapped boxes.  Has anyone bought something like this? The
>packaging indicated that the product was localized for Japan, am I right
>in assuming that since localization is usually something you can select
>during set up  -- that these products could easily be used in English
>instead?

Right. I think (not certain) that it's more about packaging and
marketing than the actual program(s) being fundamentally different. I
understand the mentality actually - one reason I bought SuSE before was
because they didn't have a Japanese language package, so the manuals in
the box were in English. They do now (have Japanese packaging) and one
of the versions they sell incorporates the ATOK input system which is
certainly *not* in the English packaging (but it's expensive too - add
about Y10,000 to the price for the ATOK version).

Actually, the best bet if you want to get Fedora on a disk (DVD) is to
just buy one of the Linux magazines which invariably include a DVD in
the magazine. I haven't looked for about a year, but I think they are
readily available from just about any bookstore for Y1,000 - Y1,500 or
so. The magazine will be all in Japanese, but yes - you can just install
the program in English.

Lyle