[tlug-digest] Re: [tlug] Fedora Core 3 questions

Thomas Savarimuthu <viswas_thomas@example.com> wrote:
>> On Thursday 14 April 2005 13:45, Jim Breen wrote:
>> > Done. I now have Gnome Terminal sailing along quite well. Haven't
>> > sorted out all the tricks with IIIMF yet, but I am much closer to
>> > seeing off kterm.
>> >
>> > FWIW, the launch string for Gnome Terminal becomes:
>> >
>> > 	env XMODIFIERS=@example.com GTK_IM_MODULE=iiim gnome-terminal
>>
>> Here another tip that would help you is, the default LANG, LANGUAGE,
>> LC_ALL variables. If your LANG variable is set to en_US.UTF-8, then you
>> need to explicitly set the LC_CTYPE="ja_JP.UTF-8" to enables the
>> japanese input in englsh GNOME/KDE environment . You can set this
>> either in the /etc/sysconfig/i18n or /etc/bashrc or in your .bashrc
>> file.

Well, for gnome-terminal Japanese input works fine for the just using
the defaults. To make it do Japanese I simply select a suitable coding
from the menu (UTF8, EUC, etc.) And for input I select Japanese using
the Gimlet button on the panel.

I suspect that the (local) locale is being modified as I go. This is
fine. I certainly don't want a global setting to "ja_JP.UTF-8" which
would result from setting it in /etc/sysconfig/i18n.

Jim

--
Jim Breen                                http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 9554