Re: [tlug] Creating UTF-8 Fonts

On 4/14/05, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

> What do you mean by "complete"?  Coverage for all characters in
> Unicode?  Coverage for the BMP?

When using Plan 9 to view BDF, we get a lot of empty glyphs.
We haved looked at using X unicode fonts, but they are really UGLY.
So in the meanwhile, we are looking  at other alternatives.

> First, it's going to be very hard because of Unihan; there are many
> characters that Japanese and Chinese are going to disagree strongly on
> "nice".  OTOH, fonts produced by Japanese are unlikely to be complete;
> they surely won't cover simplified Chinese, for example.  So you need
> to decide how you are going to handle that compromise.

Ok, I understand.

> Second, what is the proposed distribution format?  OpenType?
> TrueType?  Type1?  BDF?

BDF

> Adobe's developer site has some good docs on font formats
> (specifically Type1 and OpenType).  BDF is well documented in the
> X.org documents.  There is a newsgroup comp.fonts; mostly it's people
> looking for fonts for some purpose, so you could just ask your
> question there directly.

Thanks for the help, Stephen.  I see that I have a lot more reading to
do to come up to speed on this subject.

-uva