[tlug] rpm as non root

I would like to install an rpm package for mysql but have the thing
installed in my home directory, not a system wide install. The reason
being that I don't have root access and also there is already a version
of mysql installed which I don't want to mess with in any way.

I've tried various combinations of switches to rpm but can't get it to
do what I want. It either complains I need to be root or that various
dependencies (which exist) aren't found (I'm assuming it's b/c it's
looking in my home dir and not system wide).

Any hints or pointers appreciated.

Jc