Re: [tlug] printer won't print (was: Re. SuSE/Libranet/Panther friendly laser printer)

I had exactly the same problem with a Canon inkjet, Peter.

Canon had a few patches for installing the 860i, so I purchased it.
The procedure for installing the patch was rather troublesome, but
it worked perfectly, including hi-res color graphics.
Then, six months later, after a reinstall, I went back for another
copy of the patches...  and guess what!  the patches had been
replaced by an "improved" graphic printer interface which...
guess what!  won't compile on a 2.6 kernel system like SuSE 9.2...
Canon "support" were of no help at all.
Epson later came out with comprehensive LINUX support, so I
ended up swapping the Canon for an Epson with inferior print
quality. ;-(