Re: [tlug] Mandrake 10.1 mdkkdm do not start.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pietro Zuco" <maillist@example.com>
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2005 1:30 AM

> Hi tlugers.
>
> I had installed Mandrake 10.1 with only one CD option in some boxes for a
> classroom and in all of then I configured to start X for loggin.
> The mdkkdm is installed but no login window appeared.
> The only way to do it is to edit the file in /etc/sysconfig/firstboot and
> change the content:
>
> FIRSTBOOT=yes
> FIRSTBOOT=no
>
> Then restarting /etc/init.d/dm and the loggin window appear.
>
> Someone had experimented the same problem?

I installed the Mandrake 10.1 DVD (3CD's worth) from
http://iso.linuxquestions.org/ on a DIY P4 2800 (Northwood) on an ASUS
P4P800-E motherboard with an MSI GeForce 5700 Ultra (NVidia) video card AND
on my LOOX T86A Crusoe sub-notebook last week. With both, I get to the
Mandrake blue boot screen, but the icons never load. On my desktop, I do
have mouse/cursor movement, but nothing to click on.

If I enter failsafe boot and then the following at the prompt, I can login
and use the KDE GUI:

sh-2.05b# /etc/init.d/harddrake stop
sh-2.05b#init3    (or is it "init 3"?)
   login
$ startx (I forgot the actual prompt here, I think it is "$")

I still can't see all my hard drives, though. sda1 fails to be detected. I
have one drive on the first IDE controller, two optical drives (which I can
see), and then two more hard drives on the other IDE controller. I am not
using the SATA (Serial ATA) controllers, though I am suspicious that forcing
PATA instead of SATA in my BIOS might clear the hard drive situation.

HTH.
Greg Conquest

PS This is my first post here. The above can pretty much serve as my
introduction with the following addition. I am living in Zushi-shi,
Kanagawa-ken, and I'm wanting to get Linux working on my systems. I installd
Mandrake, but I'm also interested in Debian and maybe SUSE. I also have a
Zaurus B500, but I am constantly disappointed with the OS and Japanese
ability available. It seems I can choose to have interesting, well-made and
maintained distributions OR I can choose to have the Japanese IME that comes
with the official Sharp ROM, but not both.

If anyone has pointers on what might be the problem with my desktop and
notebook PC's, feel free to let me know. Otherwise, I will do some research
and post a question here after I know better what to ask. Ditto for the
Zaurus, though the Zaurus is secondary to the notebook/desktop for now.

Thanks.

        ----- Greg Conquest -----
         http://gregconquest.com