Re: [tlug] Seagate Sudden Death....

Josh Glover wrote:

>>[LHS] And - other Seagate hard drive users out there - have you had any
>>trouble with your drives?
>>

>Sure. Hard drives eventually fail, regardless of the manufacturer or
>model. This is just a fact of life, which is why some sort of backup
>regimen (I recommend rdiff-backup[1]) is *extremely* important.

Yes, but some drives last longer than others!  I have a 200MHz Digital
computer with a ten-year old drive that is still going strong.  One
factor may well be the much larger witch of the heads in a 3GB drive in
comparison to an 80GB drive.  Also, it's important to share this type of
information I think, because certain manufacturers will sometimes have a
bad run or a generally bad model.  What does cloud the issue is when
different manufacturers buy their drives from the same OEM
manufacturer.  In any case, certainly not all hardware is created
equal!  I don't think a lightly used hard drive should have a sudden
catastrophic failure after only two years of (light) use!  If this is
not uncommon with Seagate drive, then I'll avoid them until evidence
suggests they are better than whatever else I'm using.

PS - No argument on the importance of backing up data!